An exciting opportunity has emerged for an Acoustic Consultant (or experienced Graduate) to join our growing team in Cardiff (CF10 1GS).
We are a close-knit team that works collectively towards challenges. We value the input of all members of the team and encourage everyone to bring ideas to the table. Cardiff is a new Acoustics team in Hydrock and is part of a UK-wide team of 16 acousticians and 5 air quality consultants. We have a wealth of experience and specialist knowledge. We deliver a fresh and contemporary approach to acoustics and audio visual design for clients across the UK. Our team has experience of working on a broad range of projects including state-of the-art architectural development of recording studios, cinemas and concert halls
We have a diverse portfolio of work, typically delivered alongside a number of out other consultancy services. Recent projects include:
- Music venues
- Office and residential schemes in central Cardiff and across South Wales
- A new Cancer Care Hospital in Cardiff
- Passivhaus, NZC, and SEN Schools,
- University schemes in Carmarthen, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport
- Data Centres, and
- MOJ and MOD work.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Undertaking environmental noise surveys
- Data analysis and assessments for various projects
- 3D Noise/Acoustic modelling
- Contribution to report writing
- BSc/MSc in Acoustics, a degree in a related discipline OR IOA Diploma in Acoustics & Noise Control.
- A minimum of two years qualitative and quantitative experience in architectural and environmental acoustics
- A valid driving licence
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Able to use acoustic modelling softwares such as CATT, Odeon, CadnaA/Soundplan, Insul etc.
- Motivated and ambitious to add value to the team
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience in technical report writing, data analysis
- Be a self-motivated team player with good people skills
- Experienced in undertaking noise surveys
- Understanding of current standards, ideally including experience of Welsh legislation
- CAD, BIM and Revit desirable
- Software programming experience desirable
The team provides the following services to clients:
- Environmental noise surveys and assessments
- Design reports across the RIBA design stages
- Assessment of projects against British and International Standards
- Liaison with statutory authorities, architects, the design team and contractors
- Attendance at client, design and site meetings. Site inspections and reporting
- Development of in-house software spreadsheets and design tools
- Building acoustic models using CATT, Odeon, Cadna/SoundPlan, etc.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more