- Location: London
- Anticipated start: September 2023
- Deadline for applications: Friday 14 April 2023
- We are not able to provide a Skilled Worker visa for this position. You will need to be eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship to be considered for this role. Please do not apply if you have limited leave to enter or remain in the UK e.g. a visitor visa, a student/graduate visa or an employer-sponsored visa from a previous employer.
Looking to kickstart your career or wanting a career change?
Here’s a fantastic opportunity for you to join our highly experienced Acoustics and Air Quality team as an Apprentice Air Quality Consultant.
You will learn how to design sustainable buildings of all shapes, sizes and uses; from hospitals to homes, from data centres to offices, and so much more!
Our apprenticeship programme allows an opportunity to study for an academic qualification as well as gaining professional experience on our projects at the same time! You will be able to develop your technical skills through a variety of projects that you will take on as well as being supported in the development of your softer skills through our early careers learning and development program: ‘The Learning Curve’. We are looking to welcome an apprentice who is eager to learn and develop a career in sustainable building design.
What the role looks like
- Work with us full time in our London office along side our multidisciplinary team
- Attend the Kingston Uni on part-time study on day release - one day a week during term time
- Gain a BSc (Hons) Environmental Management qualification on successful completion of the Environmental Practitioner Degree Apprenticeship
Our London office will welcome you into our Air Quality team. You will be working alongside our seniors and graduates, supporting a number of projects ranging from sectors including industrial, residential, commercial, energy, health, local government and education.
We have a diverse portfolio of work, typically delivered alongside a number of our other consultancy services. Recent projects include a number of Air Quality Assessments within The Greater London rea and the Thames Valley. We are currently working on small to large projects including residential developments, industrial applications, and commercial developments within the South East. The role will provide a variety of experience within different sectors.
We fully fund you throughout your studies, supporting you through mentoring, as well as on-the-job training through ‘The Learning Curve’.
What you will learn with us
- Assist in undertaking Air Quality Impact Assessments involving road traffic, industrial, dust and odour emissions;
- Experience in air quality dispersion modelling and indoor and outdoor pollutant monitoring;
- Assist in report writing and contribution to Environmental Statement Preparation;
- Work in data management for air quality surveys (NO2 diffusion tubes);
- Liaising with local authorities with respect to air quality; and
- Provide support to Environmental Permit applications.
To fulfil all the learning objectives required to gain the qualification, you will undertake a planned rotation within our other teams including Geo-Environmental and Nuclear. This allows for the opportunity to experience other divisions and learn a variety of skills and competencies broadening your knowledge.
What will you need to succeed?
- 96 to 120 UCAS tariff points from at least two A-levels. A Level or equivalent 2 A-Levels e.g. Geography, Sciences, Geology or Maths (Grade A*-C)
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent including English Language and Maths (Grade 9-4 or A*- C).
- BTEC or equivalent Science or Engineering related (Grade DMM). Full details of entry requirements can be found on the training provider’s website.
- A keen attitude to learning and enthusiasm to achieve in the workplace and in your studies
- Strong numeracy skills
- Confident communication skills both written and verbal
- Enjoy learning how to use the latest digital technology
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘force for good’, as it is our aim to make positive contributions to the all lives of the people including our employees, communities we work in, clients we work with and our planet as a whole.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills on “The Learning Curve” program
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits
- 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with extra bonus holidays every 5 years too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim!
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we will be in touch with you as soon as we’ve considered your application alongside others for this role.
- Typically, this can take several weeks so if you haven't heard back from us, not to worry, your application is still actively being considered!
- With the high volume of applications, we are unable to provide ad hoc updates on the progress of applications. However, we will contact you when decisions have been made
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!