Associate/ AD/ Director Building Physics
Opportunity to become our Building Physics lead, at Associate, Associate Director or Director grade, operating within our thriving integrated engineering design, energy and sustainability consultancy, hybrid working out of any of our 21 UK offices.
Hydrock is a people-centred organisation and this includes our clients, project collaborators and our team members. A key part of the role will be the development of the team, technical development, industry relationships and staff development and engagement. We aim to create a fun and technically challenging working environment by working with like-minded clients who appreciate our efforts. We are seeking an excellent communicator and inspiring leader.
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone with the talent and motivation to realise their full potential. A few of our values – we are ambitious and keep our promises – we create an environment where people can thrive – we create a genuine, fun atmosphere and a place where people can express themselves. Please visit our values section via the website for the rest and for a quick orientation to Hydrock.
So, what will you be responsible for?
Leading and developing our building physics service offering and expertise, working in collaboration with others in our MEP team and wider disciplines.
Development of the team, technical development, industry relationships and staff development and retention.
We will encourage and support you to be a thought leader, building your brand and ours through webinars, articles in the trade press etc.
Technical excellence, innovation, low/zero-carbon solutions and understanding the ever-evolving technologies and design innovations. Your technical responsibilities will be to support in areas that include:
- Energy modelling and building simulation, including HVAC system modelling.
- CFD simulation experience (development opportunity, if appropriate)
- Daylighting simulations
- Taking the lead on projects (scale appropriate to grade).
- Applying your detailed knowledge of HVAC components, controls and how the systems are operated
- Completing projects for Part L compliance, CIBSE TM59/52, London Plan, EPCs, CIBSE TM54, CIBSE TM63
- Modelling and calibrating existing buildings and building portfolios
- Early design modelling looking at parametric optimizations
- Liaison with design team, statutory authorities and contractors.
- Marketing/business development skills (relevant to your grade).
An inspiring leader, who actively manages, proactively communicates and champions our values and wellbeing
- Degree or equivalent certified Mechanical Engineer or Building Physicist with a strong track record of delivering complex design for signature architects.
- Significant and credible experience in building physics specifically energy modelling and building simulation.
- Proficient in IES including detailed HVAC system modelling (at least one project example required).
- Detailed knowledge of HVAC components, controls and how the systems are operated.
- Experienced and confident liaising with the design team, statutory authorities and contractors.
- Strong communication, research and analysis skills.
- Motivated to reduce carbon emissions in the built environment.
- A comprehensive knowledge of current building regulations and local planning codes.
Desirable technical excellence
- OCDEA / LCEA / BEMP qualifications.
- Postgraduate degree in Building Physics.
- Use of early design building simulation software tools.
- CFD simulation experience.
- Daylighting simulations.
- Interest in coding or programming.
- Completing projects for Part L compliance, CIBSE TM59/52, London Planning, EPCs, CIBSE TM54, CIBSE TM63.
- Passivhaus certified designer
Client focus, relationship management, networking, account plans, collaboration, cross selling etc.
Financial performance, smart commercial behaviour and delivering financial key performance indicators
Innovation, curious and adaptable
- Challenges the status quo
- Identifies and develops positive and compelling strategies and visions of the organisation’s future potential
- Seeks and is open to new techniques without fear of failure
- Encourages and creates innovative products and / or designs
- Improves efficiencies through the use of technology
- Drives change to improve business outcomes
- Has a proactive interest and awareness of broader market drivers and the impact on clients and Hydrock
Brand, is a Hydrock Ambassador
- Delivers value for client, colleagues and our planet
- Respected by colleagues and clients alike
- Balances the demands of work and personal life
- Builds trust and collaborates widely
- Promotes our brand by marketing thought leadership and messages
Our Team (MEP)
Our MEP business brings a fresh approach to M&E, and offers the expertise required for the world-class environmental design of buildings including acoustics, building physics, façade performance, mechanical and electrical systems, lighting design, occupational analysis, public health engineering, and low-to-zero carbon technologies.
We work across all sectors, including commercial, industrial, manufacturing, logistics, heritage, retail, leisure and residential for end-user clients, investors, developers, architects, and project managers or engineer-led project teams. This diversity of workstreams and the fact all team members work across every sector means we are constantly cross-pollinating ideas. Here are some of our recent projects.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.