Opportunity for an Associate Fire Risk Management Consultant to join our thriving Fire Risk Management team in Scotland (in either our Glasgow or Edinburgh office). This is an opportunity for you to join our successful, fun, highly engaged Fire Safety team of over 90 people in an influential role with lots of opportunity for you to develop and progress in your career.
You will play a key part in growing our Fire Risk Management business in Scotland, working collaboratively with your multidisciplinary colleagues within and outside the Fire Division to optimise our business development and project delivery activities.
- Overall Finance management. Drive a profitable and sustainable P&L account with focussed work winning and diligent cost management. Overview of the work pipeline
- Overall team management. Act as a role model within the team with responsibility for welfare of the team and actively championing Hydrock values and staff wellbeing.
- Oversee the work winning strategy including key client account management, market sectors and growth ventures. Work with the FRM/ Divisional lead to drive work winning strategies both on a regional basis and also within regions that the Division operates in.
- Have overarching responsibility for financial governance of the team.
- Business Development. Contribute to the sustained growth of the team including increasing market position, assessment of competition and identification of growth areas.
- Provide and encourage thought leadership on technical excellence, innovation and project delivery both internally and externally.
- Ability to carry out site survey work when required
We also expect the person we hire to hold the following skills and attributes, (as well as an ability to carry out the below listed responsibilities as/when required):
- A passion for fire risk management, with a focus on end-user experience and safety.
- Experience in conducting all types of Fire Risk Assessments and drafting site survey reports to feedback to clients
- An entrepreneurial and an innovative approach to developing our fire risk management service and client development, positioning us at the forefront of the industry.
- Educated in a relevant subject, or significant professional experience and able to demonstrate the knowledge to advise clients in a senior consultant role.
- Strong experience leading projects delivering fire risk management consultancy services to a range of clients in a variety of project sectors in the UK market.
- Ability to lead project teams, mentoring and developing less experienced consultants, working to interpret, shape and meet client’s needs ensuring high quality delivery outcomes and consistently achieve client satisfaction.
- Knowledge and understanding of PAS 9980 (practical application desired but not necessary)
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with other disciplines, including structural engineering, building services, acoustics, utilities and others involved in each project.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development, maintaining current and agile aware of the latest industry developments and an ability to undertake independent learning.
- Time management and organisational skills.
- Full Member of the Institution of Fire Engineers or provide evidence that you are working towards.
We are also keen to know if you can offer any of these non-essential attributes:
- Ideally, but not necessarily, membership of a third party certification scheme for fire risk assessment.
- Member of an industry association or institute such as the IFE or IFSM.
- Experience in business development, either supporting or leading in identifying and winning work with new clients.
- Demonstrable examples of identifying and implementing innovative solutions in fire risk management in a consultancy environment.
Our Fire Safety team has a earned a reputation for delivering technically excellent work and responsiveness, together with a large team winning new work, has resulted in exceptional growth.
Our Fire Safety Division is represented in all regional capitals within England and Wales as well as Scotland with a large team of colleagues to help win new work. We are in Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Manchester, Plymouth, Birmingham and Stoke-on Trent…so far.
From concept to construction, our fire engineering expertise helps to optimise design and ensure complex buildings are compliant with regulations. Our team has extensive experience working on public sector, residential, commercial, industrial and high hazard process construction projects. We deliver a range of engineering services throughout each step of the development process; from site appraisal, through to planning, design and delivery services for all types of projects.
The workload is diverse with many ‘high profile’ regional and national clients.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more