Working with the Director for Water Environment you will lead the national Flood and Coastal Risk Engineering Team in the management of flood risk and the delivery of Flood Defence Grant in Aid schemes (FDGIA). Your work will be varied and reactive to the team’s changing demands and priorities.
- Working with the Appraisal Team your team will lead flood investigations, site inspections, data collection and analysis, scheme design and development, along with supervision of construction.
- Lead a wide range of water projects such as the development of key infrastructure through the production of business cases for FDGIA schemes. This will include the preparation of technical design solutions in accordance with EA requirements and approved design procedures.
- Prepare technical documents and drawings for checking and approval.
- Agree delivery targets with senior staff and report regularly on progress towards milestones.
- Manage the delivery of your own projects and the management and mentoring of others.
The Flood and Coastal Risk Engineering Team
- This is a new and vibrant business initiative that you will play a strategic role in planning, leading and developing
- As well as our vibrant current business, Hydrock has identified significant opportunities in flood risk sector. In addition to this there are the highway drainage improvement and maintenance schemes.
- You will fulfil a pivotal role in bidding for, winning and delivering projects that deliver real benefit to people’s lives.
- The training you will receive comprises an excellent blend of public and private sector skills.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- A passion for shaping and growing your own team
- A degree or equivalent in an appropriate discipline and professional qualification with an associated body such as IEng or Chartered status with CIWEM or the ICE.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Grant in Aid process along with experience in the design of flood relief or drainage systems.
- The ability to work under your own initiative and to seek advice when necessary.
- Be Aware of the philosophy and practice of Health and Safety in civil engineering design and construction
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!