This is a rare opportunity for you to join our successful, fun, highly engaged company of over 900 people, in a supporting and team leadership role with lots of opportunity for you to learn, develop and progress in your career.
Geo is one of our core disciplines and we have a substantial national team, including over 100 staff. Specifically, this is an exciting opportunity to develop what we do locally and regionally from London and across the southeast. We are looking for a candidate with excellent business development skills, with a broad base of contacts and companies to drive work winning and divisional growth in London, the home counties and across the southeast region.
It is anticipated that you will have in excess of 10 years’ experience, ideally with relevant chartership and have a broad existing knowledge of the UK geo consulting industry. Demonstratable skills in work winning and bussiness development will be a key focus for any successful candidate.
In addition to your technical and BD capabilities, you will need to be keen to lead and support your colleagues both on project related aspects, as well as their career development through mentoring. Commercial understanding and financial control will also be something that you have experience in and are looking to further develop and progress.
- Develops a robust pipeline of opportunities with existing and prospective clients across London and the southeast.
- Managing/improving existing and prospective client relationships.
- Collaborate with our national internal marketing department to identify opportunities, campaigns and introduce new clients across London and the southeast.
- Take a lead on local business development and work winning, championing our brand and relationships in the southeast of England.
- Prepare scopes of work and fee proposals for projects of various sizes across multiple sectors.
- Manage geo-environmental /geotechnical projects of various sizes across multiple sectors.
- Audit and inspect our site operations from a health and safety perspective.
- Manage geo-environmental /geotechnical teams working on projects across the region both on-site and in the office.
- Technical review of the teams reporting outputs and deliverables such as desk study reports, ground investigation reports, DQRAs, remediation strategies and verification reports etc. or geotechnical outputs such as geotechnical design reports, earthworks specifications, verification reports etc.
- Manage budgets and measure profitability.
- Support the Regional Director to develop, implement and deliver regional budgets.
- Support the Regional Director to develop and implement strategic initiatives in the southeast of England.
- Help to drive profitable and assist in maintaining up-to-date forecasting and input where required for Hydrock and the Division.
- Manage and mentor staff including setting standards for work ethic with a strong focus on health and wellbeing.
The attributes we expect you to bring to the role and company
- Over ten years relevant UK geo consulting industry work experience.
- Demonstratable business developer, proposal writer and work winner.
- You will be knowledgeable across multiple sectors and have existing relationships in the south east of England property and construction market.
- Self-motivated team player, with ability to lead and support efficiency and growth.
- Strong communication, analysis and people skills with increased multi-discipline working.
- Integrity and credibility. People want to work with you (customers and colleagues).
- Ideally chartered with a relevant professional body (or working towards chartership).
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you within two weeks.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in one of our offices.