We have a fantastic opportunity for a Principal or Associate Mechanical Engineer to join our established Data Centre specialist team within our successful national MEP division.
You will have the opportunity to develop your consulting engineering expertise with a clear plan for progression, honing your skills within commercial management, client service and people leadership skills.
The MEP Team:
We excel in delivering MEP engineering design services from project inception to construction completion, emphasizing early involvement, collaboration with the design team and tailored solutions. We serve a wide range of sectors including commercial, industrial, leisure, retail, manufacturing, logistics, heritage and residential, for end-user clients, investors, developers, architects, project managers or engineer-led teams. You can check out MEP’s project portfolio here.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Undertake the design of data centre specific mechanical systems from RIBA 1 through to RIBA 4c. Be fully aware of the current technical trends in the sector and be able to apply these to new projects.
- Lead projects (or elements of large projects) and take responsibility for the technical delivery and financial profitability of the project.
- As the lead discipline for data centre projects, you will also manage sub-disciplines and external contractors, assisted by the team’s design managers.
- Be an expert in the sector and support with the training/upskilling of the Hydrock MEP team.
- Assist in the marketing of the team externally and be able to generate fee income for new and existing clients.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- Proven experience as a Principal or Associate Mechanical Engineer with a strong track record in the UK leading mechanical (ideally M&E) delivery on a variety of Data Centre building service projects.
- Relevant mechanical engineering qualification at HNC, HND, Bachelors or Masters level.
- Ideally a chartered engineer or working towards membership with a relevant institution.
- Sound knowledge of BIM processes, Revit, IES and other design software.
- Working knowledge of current building regulations with a strong understanding and passion to apply sustainable design principles.
- A passion for sharing knowledge and developing junior members of the team.
- Experience of winning work, managing teams, and undertaking business operations such as marketing, commercial and financial responsibilities (Associate level only).
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!