If you are a Principal or Senior Engineer/Consultant with a strong consultancy background in renewable energy generation and distribution, grid connections, battery storage or electrical building services engineering (MEP), this is an opportunity to join an established team led by Tom Shilton, Associate Director and Leah Holmes develop your career and hone your leadership skills as this team grows in Scotland. You will work alongside Charlie Drysdale, Associate Director responsible for our Smart Energy & Sustainability proposition in Scotland, to grow this team.
As an inclusive employer we are open to flexible working arrangements to suit personal circumstances. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life.
While the key focus is work winning, as well as project delivery, this new role is your opportunity to take the lead on:
- Overseeing project delivery for your own portfolio of schemes
- Managing and developing key client relationships
- Commercial management of projects
- Resource management for the team
- Team leadership, recruitment and development
- Line management of a portion of the overall team, which you can grow significantly
You can be based in any of these offices, with the flexibility to hybrid work and manage your work and life commitments with our trusting and supportive culture:
In an ever-advancing, volatile and high-growth sector, you will find that our opportunistic, agile and decisive culture will fully enable you to focus most of your time, energy and expertise on really making a difference.
You’ll be welcomed and integrated warmly into our collaborative and ever-expanding team across the UK and will contribute to developing and delivering exciting, cutting-edge and complex projects.
We have a true enthusiasm for what we do. If you do too, we’d love to hear from you.
Sounds good? This is Smart Energy & Sustainability
So, what are we about?
This is the elevator pitch. We’re helping clients to unlock cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy and maximise the potential economic and environmental value of their projects, whilst delivering on wider environmental and sustainability principles. Alternatively, here’s the YouTube pitch.
From local authorities to universities, and from masterplan developers to asset managers and investors, we are proud to be shaping the approach that organisations are taking to decarbonisation and a net-zero future. Smart Energy and Sustainability team (SES), is the high-growth strategic backbone of our market-disrupting, entrepreneurial and agile business.
Our work includes:
- Renewable energy and battery storage development and consultancy
- Unlocking challenges around utilities constraints
- Net-zero carbon studies at project and master planning levels
- Planning application support documents including energy strategy and environmental assessments
- Feasibility and business case assessment of heat decarbonisation and heat networks
- Climate change studies
- ESG strategy
- Life-Cycle Carbon and Cost Analyses (LCCA)
- Carbon management verification
We’re passionate about our subject matter and shaping the UK’s response to the climate emergency – here’s our Divisional Director, Josh Bullard sharing his view.
Our team is a unique blend of engineers and consultants and this means we can deliver a wide range of project inputs for our clients from the earliest inception stages and onwards.
Most importantly, you’ll find us a lively, good-spirited team, excited about what we’re doing and enjoying each other’s company, and we’ll be sure to give you a warm welcome too.
So, what will you be responsible for?
Do you have an infectious and inspiring passion for sustainable design, innovative and low energy solutions is paramount, in addition to understanding the ever-evolving national and local legislative drivers?
You will help us develop our renewable energy and utilities consultancy and project development.
Your key responsibilities (as per the first set of bullet points above) will be to support in the following areas. Please note that we aren’t expecting you to have first-hand experience of everything listed. We expect you’ll bring significant expertise in some and a desire to gain experience in any areas you’re less familiar with.
- Overseeing delivery of consultancy projects including Solar PV, battery storage and wind at all scales both Behind and In-Front of the Meter
- Viability assessments and feasibility studies
- Power engineering strategies
- Power capacity and resilience assessments
- Project management
- Financial modelling and revenue forecasting
- Technical, economic and environmental risk management.
- Advising clients on planning, procurement, tendering and implementation
- Developing scopes and fee proposals
- Liaising with specialist sub-consultants
- Supporting the wider division on utilities/energy infrastructure, masterplanning and carbon management.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- A passion for net zero, innovation and low carbon solutions is paramount.
- Experience in the renewables, electrical MEP or power engineering sector.
- Project management experience, including technical leadership of dispersed/remote project teams, in the engineering/energy industry, or perhaps an alternative design or energy modelling background with skills that could be applied to renewables sector.
- Ability to work collaboratively and integrate with other disciplines, including structural engineering, building services (MEP), acoustics, fire, utilities, transportation and geo-environmental.
- A collaborative, enthusiastic and forward-thinking approach.
Can you bring this experience or are you keen to learn?
- Working knowledge of energy sector and regulatory framework.
- Working knowledge of renewable energy / modelling techniques.
- Knowledge of or technical ability in energy/renewables related disciplines.
- Practical experience of developing or designing renewables/battery storage projects.
- An ability to apply analytical skills across a range of scale, i.e., buildings, campuses, cities.
- Experience in presenting analytical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Knowledge of energy performance, environmental, legal and financial requirements.
- Working knowledge of financial modelling and revenue forecasting.
- Experience and working knowledge of the energy market, capacity and grid balancing, demand side response, connection agreements, market business models etc.
We will support your professional development, aligned to your aspirations, interests and emergent markets, technologies or professional qualifications/memberships.
Ultimately, you're someone who wants to become a key technical advisor (Subject Matter Expert) with a high level of visibility both inside Hydrock and externally within the industry. A credible, networked, thought leader at key industry events and conferences.
You will also have the desire to grow and manage a team focused on strategic sustainability services, intrinsic to our strategic plans.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell’
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and is supported 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, the Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits
- 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!