Opportunity for a Technician to join our Infrastructure team based in head office, Over Court Barns, Almondsbury, Bristol BS32 4DF.
You will need to be eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship to have your application considered for this role, as we are not able to provide a Skilled Worker visa for this position.
This location is home to our national Infrastructure group, including the national discipline lead and is therefore a great place to develop your career. You will also share an office with our Geotechnical, Geo-Environmental and Nuclear specialists, as well as head office staff.
Hydrock is an independently owned multidisciplinary consultancy, of circa 500 staff, operating out of 16 offices in the UK. We are one of The Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For and a champion of well-being (latest winner of Health and Wellbeing Leader of the Year award at the NCE100). We believe part of our success is looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing a service to a client or rewarding employment to an employee!
Pre March 2020 we would have been raving about our wonderful head office site, set in over 100 acres of the great outdoors, and all the great stuff that comes with it but for now that’s not too relevant, while we are all essentially working from home. However, we still have our culture and our people and the wellbeing champions in particular are busy dreaming up and delivering opportunities to help keep people happy and healthy and we look forward to returning to the collaborative and social environment that is a Hydrock office, when it is safe to do so (although we expect a blend of office and home working in the future).
When we do return to the office, this location has excellent links to the M5 and on site carparking. We also have great facilities for cyclists and many of our employees ride in from Bristol and surrounds. Some benefits you might not expect include opportunities to work out over lunch on our substantial site overlooking the Severn (casual fitness classes, running, cycling) and an annual wellbeing bonus.
Overview of the role
You will be responsible for delivering technical support to the design of civil engineering projects. Working as part of a team within a growing multi-disciplinary consultancy, and operating across a matrix of projects, you will assist with the production of CAD drawings and technical information for a range of housing and commercial development projects.
You will be expected to work in a design office environment but could also play an active role in design and site meetings, site inspections and progress reporting. Good communication and effective liaison with colleagues are key attributes.
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Civil Engineering or Construction and the Built Environment or similar technical qualification
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD is essential
- Some residential sector experience would be advantageous
- Familiarity with design software such as PDS or Civils 3D would be useful but training is given
- Can do attitude and a willingness to learn new skills
- A self-motivated team player with good organisational skills
- Someone who believes in our ethos www.hydrock.com/about-us/our-ethos
- An opportunity to progress to an HNC or HND Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering, attending a local College or University for one day a week during term time.
- For more about Infrastructure at Hydrock click here and for more on Apprenticeships in Civil Engineering click here
What you can expect in general
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A great team, office and employer (check out our 2020 wrap up video here.) A genuine opportunity to achieve and to be recognised and rewarded merit.
The remuneration package will include a competitive salary, employer pension contribution, 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in every office.
We have several team, office, regional and divisional events but ‘Challenge Day’ is when the whole company comes together for a paid day of fun! You can check out our most recent Challenge Day here!
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
A place where we can all thrive
At Hydrock we value our diversity and place wellbeing and inclusion for all at the heart of our culture. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving these aims, so we encourage you to talk to us about the working arrangement that best enables you to balance your personal commitments with your responsibilities at work. Please let us know your current and/or desired flexible working arrangements in your covering letter, so we can discuss how this could work for you in this role.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We consider all applications on an individual’s alignment with the required qualifications, knowledge and experience outlined in this job advert, without regard to any of the protected characteristics. So that we can provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience, please make us aware if you have any physical or neurodiverse condition for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you within one week.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices (if possible and in line with Covid-19 guidelines). Please let us know what you feel comfortable with.