Geo is one of our core disciplines at Hydrock. It is where we came from (both the CEO and MD have a ‘Geo background’) and it accounts for a wealth of our business today by seeding other disciplines.
In brief, the work includes the delivery of Geo-environmental services including, but not limited to, design and management of site investigations (including on-site supervision, trial pitting, logging and sampling); interpretative report writing; qualitative and quantitative risk assessment.
The role includes working as part of integrated project teams of geo-environmental and geotechnical specialists and an understanding of related disciplines (civils, structural, transport, air quality, acoustics and flood risk), will be beneficial.
The attributes we expect you to bring to the role and company:
- A BSc, BEng or higher qualification in a relevant subject (geology, civil engineering, environmental science, etc).
- 5 years experience in a geo-environmental consultancy role.
- Good working knowledge of relevant and up to date British Standards (e.g. BS5930 and BS10175), Industry Guidance (e.g. EA LC:RM) and NHBC Standards.
- Ability to soil and ideally core log in accordance with BS5930:2015+A1:2020.
- Supervision, reporting and management of geo-environmental assignments.
- Experience working for a contractor, or geotechnical experience would be highly desirable.
- Scheduling chemical and geotechnical laboratory testing.
- Monitoring of gas and groundwater levels and groundwater sampling.
- Liaison with sub-contractors and clients assisting in the delivery of projects.
- Technical report writing including Desk Studies, Ground Investigation Reports and Coal Mining Risk Assessments.
- Good understanding of Health and Safety requirements for Ground Investigations.
- Self-motivated team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- A proactive and independent thinker with an enthusiastic approach to work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday, accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- Flexible office start times and an earlier finish on Friday (1hr earlier!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!