Join the UK’s fastest growing fire team in our newest location - Newcastle.
This is an opportunity for you to join our successful, fun, highly engaged fire safety team of over 50 people, in an influential role with lots of opportunity for you to build a legacy and progress in your career.
As the demand for Fire Safety Engineering dramatically increases this role will best suit a Fire Engineer looking to support in delivering some of the most challenging projects across the UK and worldwide. The successful candidate will require strengths in communication, design co-ordination, and technical delivery management of projects. We are fortunate to have some the most technically excellent professionals in our division.
Specifically, this is an opportunity to be one of our first fire engineers in Newcastle.
What you will be responsible for:
- Delivery of technically excellent Fire Engineering design on a number of projects
- Early-stage strategic input to design
- Detailed design to construction status information and beyond into Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Site inspections and reporting throughout construction
The team provides the following services to clients:
- Advising on applicable codes, standards and guidance
- Fire engineering design and analysis
- Fire strategy development
- Advisement on regulatory code compliance
- Means of escape design and analysis
- Evacuation analysis and pedestrian flow modelling
- Structural fire protection design and analysis
- Structural optimization analysis
- Fire impact analysis
- External fire spread analysis
- Smoke control design and analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis
- Design and specification of fire protection systems
- Construction phase consultation service
- Third party peer review
Post occupation services:
- Fire management plan development
- Fire evacuation plan development
- Fire risk assessment.
Our Fire Safety team has a earned a reputation for delivering technically excellent work and responsiveness, together with a large team winning new work, has resulted in exceptional growth.
Our Fire Safety Division is represented in all regional capitals within England and Wales as well as Scotland with a large team of colleagues to help win new work. We are in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Plymouth and Stoke-on Trent…so far.
From concept to construction, our fire engineering expertise helps to optimise design and ensure complex buildings are compliant with regulations. Our team has extensive experience working on public sector, residential, commercial, industrial and high hazard process construction projects. We deliver a range of engineering services throughout each step of the development process; from site appraisal, through to planning, design and delivery services for all types of projects.
The workload is diverse with many ‘high profile’ regional and national clients.
This link takes you to all things Hydrock Fire Division, services, people, projects
Check out Rui, Marc and Chris presenting their recent webinars
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
- BSc/ BEng/ MSc/ MEng or equivalent
- Experienced working in a fire engineering consultancy, delivering fire strategy and fire safety consultancy services
- Passion and talent for fire engineering
- A confident, outgoing and fun person who enjoys being part of a busy team
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills
- A self-starter who is tenacious in concluding tasks
- Someone with drive, ambition and enjoys change and variety
How we work
We have now returned to our offices; some of us full time, though many of us now choose to split our time between working from home and working in the office. If you’re in the office every day you’ll have a designated desk to use. For those who hybrid work our offices are now set up for hot desking, so you can select and book a desk through our cloud booking system. By offering you more flexibility, our aim is to enable everyone to work in a way that best facilitates productivity, work life balance and collaboration.
Hydrock is an independently-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of circa 600 staff, operating out of 18 offices in the UK. We have been consistently in the 100 Best Companies to Work For list for the last seven years. We pride ourselves on looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing our services to a client or a rewarding experience for our employees.
What you can expect in general
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A great team, office and employer (check out our 2020 wrap up here). A genuine opportunity to create and to be recognised and rewarded.
The remuneration package will include a competitive salary and employer pension contribution, 25 days annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), healthy living bonus, well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in every office.
We have several team, office, regional and divisional events but ‘Challenge Day’ is when the whole company comes together for a paid day of fun! You can check out our most recent Challenge Day here!
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
A place where we can all thrive
At Hydrock we value our diversity and place wellbeing and inclusion for all at the heart of our culture. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving these aims, so we encourage everyone talk to us about any ideas which enable you to balance your personal commitments with your responsibilities at work. Please let us know your current and/or desired flexible working arrangements in your covering letter, so we can discuss how this could work for you in this role.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We consider all applications on an individual’s alignment with the required qualifications, knowledge and experience outlined in this job advert, without regard to any of the protected characteristics. So that we can provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience, please make us aware if you have any physical or neurodiverse condition for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you within two weeks.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices (if possible and in line with Covid-19 guidelines). Please let us know what you feel comfortable with.