Join the UK’s fastest growing fire team in our Birmingham office.
This is an opportunity for you to join our successful, fun, highly engaged fire safety team of over 100 people, in an influential role with lots of opportunity for you to build a legacy and progress in your career.
As the demand for Fire Safety Engineering dramatically increases this role will best suit a Fire Engineer (or Senior) looking to support in delivering some of the most challenging projects across the UK and worldwide. The successful candidate will require strengths in communication, design co-ordination, and technical delivery management of projects. We are fortunate to have some the most technically excellent professionals in our division.
What you will be responsible for:
- Delivery of technically excellent Fire Engineering design on a number of projects
- Early-stage strategic input to design
- Detailed design to construction status information and beyond into Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Site inspections and reporting throughout construction
The team provides the following services to clients:
- Advising on applicable codes, standards and guidance
- Fire engineering design and analysis
- Fire strategy development
- Advisement on regulatory code compliance
- Means of escape design and analysis
- Evacuation analysis and pedestrian flow modelling
- Structural fire protection design and analysis
- Structural optimization analysis
- Fire impact analysis
- External fire spread analysis
- Smoke control design and analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis
- Design and specification of fire protection systems
- Construction phase consultation service
- Third party peer review
Post occupation services:
- Fire management plan development
- Fire evacuation plan development
- Fire risk assessment.
Our Fire Safety team has a earned a reputation for delivering technically excellent work and responsiveness, together with a large team winning new work, has resulted in exceptional growth.
Our Fire Safety Division is represented in all regional capitals within England and Wales as well as Scotland with a large team of colleagues to help win new work. We are in Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Plymouth and Stoke-on Trent…so far.
From concept to construction, our fire engineering expertise helps to optimise design and ensure complex buildings are compliant with regulations. Our team has extensive experience working on public sector, residential, commercial, industrial and high hazard process construction projects. We deliver a range of engineering services throughout each step of the development process; from site appraisal, through to planning, design and delivery services for all types of projects.
The workload is diverse with many ‘high profile’ regional and national clients.
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
- BSc/ BEng/ MSc/ MEng or equivalent
- Experienced working in a fire engineering consultancy, delivering fire strategy and fire safety consultancy services
- Passion and talent for fire engineering
- A confident, outgoing and fun person who enjoys being part of a busy team
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills
- A self-starter who is tenacious in concluding tasks
- Someone with drive, ambition and enjoys change and variety
How we work
Most of us hybrid work and all our offices are set up for hot-desking, so you can select and book a desk through our cloud booking system. A smaller proportion of us like being in the office fulltime and if you’re in the office every day you’ll have a designated desk to use. By offering you more flexibility, our aim is to enable everyone to work in a way that best facilitates productivity, work/life balance and collaboration.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday, accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- Flexible office start times and an earlier finish on Friday (1hr earlier!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.