For this role:
- You will need to be eligible to work in the UK indefinitely, without sponsorship, and be confident in your ability to gain security clearance.
- You will need to submit a CV and a cover letter.
- You will need to be available to start in April 2024.
We have an opportunity for a Graduate Nuclear Consultant (with some or no industry experience) to join our award-winning consultancy based in our Glasgow office.
What will you be responsible for?
- Provision of technical support to more senior team members in the delivery of projects, across a range of disciplines (including safety assurance, organisational capability, radioactive waste management and environmental assessment) for nuclear clients;
- Taking a lead role on delivery of specific technical work tasks, including data assessment, documentation review/update, technical report authoring, technical recording at workshops;
- Supporting senior team members in client engagement and business development interactions, as well as support to the development of bid submissions for new work.
In this role you’ll spend your time working at both Hydrock’s own offices and potentially at our client’s office, so a reasonable degree of travel may be required from time to time.
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
- A strong Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering subject.
- A relevant Master’s is desirable, but not essential.
- An active interest in energy supply/infrastructure, with a good appreciation for the changing nuclear landscape with respect to new build, generation, decommissioning and defence.
- High motivation for a career in consulting / advisory services in the nuclear sector.
- An aspiration to work across a diverse range of technical disciplines, as well as supporting ongoing business management activities.
- Motivated to achieve chartership over the coming years with a relevant institute.
- Self-motivated team player with exceptional people skills.
- Ability to work under own initiative while fully co-ordinating with line manager’s requirements.
- Ideally some relevant post graduate industry experience, though this is not essential.
- Believes in our ethos.
Our Nuclear Division has been providing high-end strategic and advisory consultancy support to the nuclear industry since 2005, working with operators and regulators across the new build, existing generation, decommissioning and defence markets. The Division specialises in safety cases, environmental management, nuclear safety governance, radioactive waste management and decommissioning strategy, and development/demonstration of nuclear organisational capability. With clients including EDF Energy (HPC, SZC and Generation), NDA/NWS, and GE Healthcare, Hydrock’s Nuclear Division provides a range of services to help organisations demonstrate compliance with the legal and regulatory expectations of the nuclear industry.
What's great about Hydrock
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Named as Building’s Engineering Consultant of the Year in 2023, we’re known for delivering outstanding sustainable projects for our communities, planet, and society.
Some of these projects have recently received industry accolades, including Cleveland Pools winning the Conservation and Regeneration category at the Construction Excellence South West Awards 2023; Bay Technology Centre named Commercial Project of the Year at the British Construction Industry Awards 2022; YGG Tan-y-Lan picked out in the Integration and Collaborative Working category at Construction Excellence Wales Awards 2022; The Deaf Academy singled out for its Universal Design at the Civic Trust Awards 2022; and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living sweeping up at the Bristol Property Awards.
Take a look at our 2023 end of year film and get a feel for what we’re all about.
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Talent Acquisition Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!