Graduate Utilities Consultant - Smart Energy & Sustainability
For this role:
- You will need to be eligible to work in the UK indefinitely, without sponsorship.
- Applications will close 30/09/2023
We are currently advertising for a Graduate Utilities consultant in London.
This is an outstanding opportunity for you to join our highly influential Utilities Team within the Smart Energy and Sustainability division delivering sustainable projects for our communities, planet and society.
Working with local authorities, universities, master planners and developers, you will be helping to shape the future and the approach that organisations are taking to decarbonisation and a net-zero future.
Right now, we’re looking for an enthusiastic Graduate Utilities Consultant to join us in our Manchester office. We offer hybrid working as standard, including a couple of days a week in the office (or full time in the office if preferred!), alongside team members for training and collaborative working.
You’ll be part of our collaborative and growing team, based in offices across the UK, and will help with the development and delivery of a pipeline of exciting and complex projects. The utilities infrastructure includes electricity, gas, water and telecommunications – the very lifeblood of buildings, without which there would be no power, running water, heating, lighting or internet. Here are some of our best recent projects!
Our Projects and Team
Working within a project team comprising project managers, architects and engineers, we have an important role to play in determining how and where utility services are incorporated into developments and how they will meet the challenges of increasing electrical demand, to suit net-zero strategies and electric vehicle charging, against a backdrop of a constrained national grid.
Our projects often involve investigating the feasibility of integrating microgrids, typically comprising renewable energy sources combined with battery storage, to meet a shortfall in available grid power, avoid significant grid reinforcement costs or to generate revenue.
Our team is a unique blend of engineers and consultants and this means we can deliver a wide range of project inputs for our clients from the earliest inception stages and onwards. You will also be working closely with our wider Smart Energy and Sustainability division to ensure collaborative and joined up approaches on developments in terms of energy strategy, decarbonisation, renewable energy generation and battery storage.
What will your role involve?
The role is to undertake duties necessary for project execution within the Utilities Team, working collaboratively with team members across offices and other services within the company, you will deliver technical utilities consultancy through the following work stages:
- Due diligence
- Master planning
- Pre/post Planning
You work will primarily involve the following tasks:
- Obtaining and reviewing asset records to assist in identifying development risks/constraints that show where utility infrastructure is located in and around a proposed development site
- Producing drawings showing utility infrastructure
- Supporting senior staff and the wider team in the procurement of quotes for utility providers for new utility connections, diversionary works and disconnection
- Simultaneously managing numerous projects and chasing utilities for responses to ensure project milestones are met
- Undertaking load calculations (Electricity, Gas, Clean/Foul Water for submission of pre-planning enquiries
- Reviewing ‘heat maps’ to find out high level information about where there is available capacity within the electricity networks
- Liaising with utility companies to determine a strategy for how to bring power, gas, water and telecommunications into a development
- Looking at any constraints and risks that the utilities infrastructure may have on a development
- Managing your own workload to meet project deadlines
- Liaising with internal and external team members, developing relationships and people skills
- Assisting in the production of detailed accurate technical reports, drawings and specifications
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- An interest in utilities, energy and renewables
- A degree in a relevant engineering degree is desirable but not essential – we have graduates from all backgrounds including physics and history in our team!
- Strong report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) – we need to be able to digest technical knowledge and relay it to non-technical specialists
- A working knowledge of AutoCAD
- Enjoy working in a fun, lively office with a great team spirit
- Humility, self-motivation and enthusiasm.
- To buy into Hydrock’s values and ethos
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!