- Location: Birmingham
- Anticipated start: September 2024
- Deadline for applications: Friday 2 February 2024
- We are not able to provide a Skilled Worker visa for this position. You will need to be eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship to be considered for this role. Please do not apply if you have limited leave to enter or remain in the UK e.g. a visitor visa, a student/graduate visa or an employer-sponsored visa from a previous employer.
Looking to kickstart your career or wanting a career change?
Here’s a fantastic opportunity for you to join our highly experienced Mechanical, Electrical and Public Health (MEP) team as an Apprentice Mechanical Engineer.
You will learn how to design sustainable buildings of all shapes, sizes and uses; from hospitals to homes, from data centres to offices, and so much more!
Our apprenticeship programme allows an opportunity to study for an academic qualification as well as gaining professional experience on our projects at the same time! You will be able to develop your technical skills through a variety of projects that you will take on as well as being supported in the development of your softer skills through our early careers learning and development program: ‘The Learning Curve’. We are looking to welcome an apprentice who is eager to learn and develop a career in sustainable building design.
What the role looks like
- Work with us full time
- Attend Coventry University for part-time study on day release - one day (7 hours) per week
- Gain a Building Services Design Engineer Level 6 Qualification (equivalent to a degree).
Our friendly Birmingham office will welcome you into our MEP team to join our growing team.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) which will enable you to design and visualise buildings collaboratively using 3D models and information.
We fully fund you throughout your studies, supporting you through mentoring, as well as on-the-job training through ‘The Learning Curve’.
What you will learn with us
- Preparation of simple calculations to support design development
- Gaining experience in the preparation of reports, sketches, drawings (3D or 2D) and specifications
- Arrange and attend meetings, take minutes and distribute actions
- Managing your own workload to meet project and study deadlines
- Taking part in internal design team meetings, presentations and workshops
- Contributing to solutions for design challenges
- Liaising with internal and external team members, developing relationships and people skills
What will you need to succeed?
- At least three A levels at Grades A*-C including Mathematics and Physical Science or their equivalent or will have completed a Level 3 Apprenticeship as a Building Services Design Technician
- GCSE grades 9 to 4/ A* to C in subjects such as maths and English or equivalent experience/qualification.
- Genuine interest in a career in building services engineering, or aspects of
- A keen attitude to learning and enthusiasm to achieve in the workplace and in your studies
- Strong numeracy skills
- Confident communication skills both written and verbal
- Enjoy learning how to use the latest digital technology.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'?
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and is supported 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, the Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits
- 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!