Job Title: Office Manager - Merchants House
Department: Hydrock Consultants Ltd
Revision Date: October 2023
Hours: Part time 30 hours preferably Mon-Fri but flexible.
(must be able to work Mondays and preferably be able to start at 8.30am each day, can be spread over 5 x days or 4 x days)
Would you like to manage of one of the best offices in Bristol?
Working in our glorious Bristol Harbourside office, this is a rare, part-time, city-centre job opportunity for an energetic person who enjoys a varied, busy and fulfilling working day.
As an inclusive employer we are open to flexible working arrangements to suit personal circumstances. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life.
The Office Manager is responsible for the user-experience in Merchants House. This role involves the oversight and co-ordination of all support, contract and estate functions in the office, as well leading the front-of-house reception team.
As part of the reception team, core duties revolve around creating a fun, attractive, and corporate appearance. Ensuring that all of the desks and facilities are fully functional and that our offices are a collaborative and productive place to work and play.
Core Job Functions
- Support the user-experience of every member of staff and visitor to the office.
- Lead the monthly Merchants House Management Meeting – with divisional leads - to ensure functional support and user feedback is maintained.
- Leadership of the reception team on a day-to-day basis to welcome people and maintain direction of enquiries.
- Maintain the hot-desks, and meeting rooms to ensure all are in operational order, or reported for repair. Oversee reports on hot desk usage and manage enquiries for faults and repairs.
- Ensure that the facilities provided by our Land Agent are operational and support our needs, work with other tenants in the building to promote good neighbour relations. Liaise daily with the Agents Building Manager and Merchants House main reception.
- Ensure that our offices are managed in line with Hydrock strategy; and fully compliant with all Health and Safety and QA inspections for ISO accreditation.
- Conduct welcome inductions for all new starters and contractors, to be fully H&S compliant.
- Support of work experience and summer placement liaising with HR / Early careers team.
- Management of reception phones and assist with Avaya telephone call answering group.
- Liaison with Head Office regarding property issues – e.g., landlord communications, paying of bills, repairs, maintenance, and budget management.
- Leadership of the reception team administration, including stationery, tea and coffee replenishment & supplier relations.
- Management of purchase orders in relation to office procurement and liaison with Finance team.
- Liaison with, and management of, contract cleaners – with review annually.
- Pool cars bookings/checks and servicing, and parking management with land agent.
- Assistance with marketing events and visitor user experience.
- Communication with Merchants House staff to support functionality of the office.
- Organize events for the office (together with the reception team, divisional admins and Social Committee) including: Christmas Party, monthly foodie or lunch and learn events, day off for good causes, internal workshop talks, and various ad-hoc events.
- Proven background in customer service, and people management
- Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong administrative and organisational capability
- Effective team leader, able to undertake multiple tasks, under pressure
- Good sense of humour
- Drivers Licence
- Previous Office Management Experience
- Experience of working in a busy consultant’s environment
- Keen interest in engineering design, energy and/or sustainability
- Academic qualification and background appropriate for administrative management role
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'?
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and is supported 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, the Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits
- 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!