We have a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer to join our highly regarded, progressive and award-winning Civil & Structural team in Bristol.
We are looking for an engineer to join either our central Bristol or Almondsbury office.
We are looking for a talented engineer with great experience, excellent software skills, and the desire to work in a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary team focused on sustainability, technical excellence and shaping construction in the UK and beyond.
The future of education, strategic land, urban regeneration and the tech industry – just a flavor of the kind of projects that await a career in Hydrock.
Your role will include:
- Collaborating as a member of a growing multi-disciplinary consultancy.
- Operating across a range of projects.
- Working and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Undertaking scheme development, preliminary and detailed designs and project coordination.
- Contribute or lead on work winning, budgetary control of project finances and preparing fee proposals.
- Mentoring and supporting emergent team members, to uphold the quality and accuracy of technical and non-technical deliverables.
- Working in a design office environment, while also playing an active role in design and site meetings, site inspections and progress reporting.
- Good communication and effective liaison with clients, architects, contractors and regulatory/statutory authorities are therefore considered key attributes.
You will be set up for success if you have:
- BEng, MEng, BSc, MSc, HND or HNC civil engineering qualification, with significant and predominant experience gained in a design office environment.
- Working knowledge of Section 104, 278 and 38 adoption procedures.
- Excellent analysis and technical design skills in AutoCAD, PDS, Civils3D and MicroDrainage.
- Good understanding of technical software such as Civil 3D, AutoTrack, industry standard software.
- Experience working with residential developers.
- Knowledge of UK planning procedures and ability to provide technical support to secure planning approval
- Ability to secure technical approvals from highway and drainage authorities.
- Strong written and verbal communicator.
- Self-motivated team player with good people skills.
Civil & Structural Engineering
Our national civil and structural engineering business is led from Bristol, where our largest team is located, with established teams in Plymouth, Birmingham, Cardiff, Gloucester, London, Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester.
You can expect exceptional colleagues to work with, collaborate and learn from and an interesting variety of challenging projects.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!