We have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Consultant who specialises within renewable energy to join our SES team. Our team have a national presence and as such we welcome applications from candidates who can commute to any of our offices across the UK.
As an inclusive employer we are open to flexible working arrangements to suit people’s personal circumstances. We welcome applicants who are seeking part time or full-time hours and promote hybrid working within our teams!
Your role will include:
As a specialist within renewable energy, you will act as the technical and project lead for the delivery of grid scale/Front of the Meter (FTM) renewable energy generation and/or storage consultancy projects. This role will be predominately battery and solar power based but experience with other technologies would be beneficial. Other responsibilities include:
- Overseeing project delivery for your own portfolio of schemes.
- Managing and developing key client relationships.
- Commercial management of projects.
- Resource management for the team.
- Team leadership, recruitment, and development.
Our Smart Energy & Sustainability division:
This is the elevator pitch. We’re helping clients to unlock cheaper, cleaner, and more reliable energy and maximise the potential economic and environmental value of their projects whilst delivering on wider environmental and sustainability principles. Find out more with our YouTube pitch here!
As a team we are passionate about addressing the climate and energy challenge with positive solutions. As a business we are committed to being net-zero by 2030, we’re signed up to the Science Based Targets Initiative and we’re also active members of the UK Green Building Council and Business in the Community.
Our work across the wider team includes:
- Net-zero carbon studies at project and master planning levels
- Planning application support documents including energy strategy and environmental assessments
- Climate change studies
- ESG strategy
- Life-Cycle Carbon and Cost Analyses (LCCA)
- Renewable energy development and consultancy
- Carbon management verification
Our team is a unique blend of engineers and consultants and this means we can deliver a wide range of project inputs for our clients from the earliest inception stages and onwards.
Most importantly, you’ll find us a lively, good-spirited team, excited about what we’re doing and enjoying each other’s company, and we’ll be sure to give you a warm welcome too.
To succeed in this role, you’ll ideally have experience within:
- Distribution and Transmission grid connection application, negotiation, and delivery processes for FTM renewable developments (c20-500MW scale).
- Renewable energy and storage development including process, market, commercial structures, revenue streams, supply chains, routes to market, procurement, build out and energisation.
- Renewable energy revenue opportunities including grid services, ancillary markets, application process, auctions, etc.
- Strategic technical knowledge of feasibility and concept design, procurement and operation for renewable and energy storage technologies which may include – PV, Wind, Hydro, Anaerobic Digestion, Battery Energy Storage Systems. Long Duration Energy Storage, Hydrogen.
- Strategic TNO/DNO liaison, including at site finding/viability stage.
- Working with developers acting as key technical lead/development management lead for renewable energy projects
- Working knowledge of planning process for various development scales (LPA, TCPA, DCO, NSIP)
- Existing relationships for supply chain and partner engagement e.g. IDNO/ICP, equipment suppliers, specialist designers/consultants, DNO/TNO.
- Ongoing understanding of industry changes and opportunities these may present for our team e.g., Ofgem, NGESO, REMA, 5-point plan, network reforms, revenue markets.
It would benefit your application (but is not essential) if you had experience within:
- Business development and sales of consultancy services across the renewables sector, ideally larger scale/FTM.
- Team operations including resource planning and ensuring deadlines are met across numerous consultancy projects.
- Management and development of junior staff members.
- Development and improvement of in-house delivery processes and technical expertise.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
- We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
- From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
- Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
- Check out our 2023 end of year film!
What we can offer you:
- Great learning and development opportunities.
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!