Principal/ Senior Acoustic Engineer
An exciting opportunity has emerged for a Principal (or experienced Senior) Acoustic Engineer to join our expanding Northern (UK) Acoustics team, working out of either our Manchester, Leeds or Newcastle offices. Hydrock currently has a UK-wide team of 17 acousticians and 6 air quality consultants. The successful applicant will be the 5th to join the Northern team.
The Acoustics & Air Quality Division is a human centric team of people from a variety of backgrounds within acoustics, working to deliver a standout approach to the complexities of acoustic engineering. The team aspires to provide premium acoustic engineering across all projects and sectors, while maintaining approachable, adaptable and accountable relationships with clients and colleagues.
We have a diverse portfolio of work across the region, typically delivered alongside a number of our other Hydrock engineering colleagues:
- Events centres, performance spaces and music venues
- Hotels, Student Accommodation and Residential Schemes
- Schools including for Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- Universities in Manchester, Newcastle, Keele and Blackpool
- Prisons and Justice
- Offices and Commercial spaces
- Entertainment and Leisure Facilities; and
- Research project in Healthcare and Justice
What do I need to be good at?
- Experienced in Building Acoustics?
- Able to effectively communicate complex acoustics issues?
- Highly organised yet agile enough to deal with dynamic and reactive activities?
- Confidently build and maintain valued relationships with people?
- Fostering a collaborative working atmosphere?
What qualifications do I need?
The only pre-requisite is experience in acoustic engineering and consultancy for the build environment. In particular, architectural/ building acoustic design. The established team are from a range of engineering and scientific backgrounds and have a variety of different qualifications such as Engineering Chartership, should you wish to pursue those.
What do I need to enjoy?
- Being part of successful integrated engineering teams
- Communicating Acoustics in non-confusing terms
- Working on increasingly innovative and sustainable projects
- Delivering projects that exceed clients’ expectations
- Challenges presented by a dynamic project environment
- Deploying the appropriate commercial, technical and people balance at the appropriate time
What does a normal week typically involve?
There is no such thing as a ‘normal week’, but within the space of a week or so, you are likely to:
- Attend design team meetings and project progress meetings
- Provide bespoke acoustic advice to clients and engineering peers on complex projects
- Contribute to networking events and work winning
- Complete or contribute towards fee proposals
- Provide guidance to growing acousticians
- Review financial forecasting for projects
- Catch-up with the team
- Plan and lead acoustic workshops, external CPD sessions and internal technical discussions
- Problem solving acoustic issues and comfortable communicating solutions, even when unfavourable to stakeholders
- Deliver high quality and innovative technical design work
- Play a key role in the acoustics of projects from conception to completion
- Comfortable training, coaching and mentoring people in the team
- Preparation of project case studies to capture specific experiences
People and Business
- Relationships, financial performance, risk management and problem resolution
- Be an ambassador for Acoustics and exemplar for technical excellence
- Create opportunities to share your Acoustics knowledge to support the development of the team
- Lead the exploration and the delivery of new ideas
- Prioritise your well-being and the well-being of others
- Represent Acoustics at internal Business Development meetings
- Participate in knowledge sharing forums such as lunchtime talks, graduate development programme, external CPD etc
- Key role in regional and/ or local key client focus programme
- Contribute to our Division’s strategic development and progression
- Create business Development opportunities with existing and potential clients
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.