We have an excellent opportunity for a Building Physics Engineer, to join our thriving MEP Division and contribute to our growth alongside our expanding team in Leeds
So, what will you be responsible for?
We want you to help us develop our building physics design consultancy expertise on a range of building projects across the UK, working in collaboration with our MEP Engineering division and wider disciplines.
A passion for building physics, innovative and low/zero carbon solutions is paramount, in addition to understanding the ever-evolving technologies and design innovations.
Your key responsibilities will be to support in areas that include:
- Energy modelling and building simulation, including HVAC system modelling.
- CFD simulation experience (development opportunity, if appropriate)
- Daylighting simulations
- Taking the lead on projects (scale appropriate to grade).
- Applying your detailed knowledge of HVAC components, controls and how the systems are operated
- Completing projects for Part L compliance, CIBSE TM59/52, London Planning, EPCs, CIBSE TM54, CIBSE TM63
- Modelling and calibrating existing buildings and building portfolios
- Early design modelling looking at parametric optimizations
- Liaison with design team, statutory authorities and contractors.
- Marketing/business development skills (at senior engineer grade).
- Degree or equivalent certified Mechanical Engineer with a strong track record
- Significant and credible experience in building physics specifically energy modelling and building simulation.
- Proficient in building simulation software (IES / TAS / Design builder / EnergyPlus) including detailed HVAC system modelling (at least one project example required).
- Ability to take lead role on projects.
- Detailed knowledge of HVAC components, controls and how the systems are operated.
- Experienced and confident liaising with design team, statutory authorities and contractors.
- Strong communication, research and analysis skills.
- Motivated to reduce carbon emissions in the built environment.
- Marketing/business development skills (senior engineer grade).
- A basic understanding of energy codes and planning requirements throughout the UK
Desirable (non-essential) requirements:
- OCDEA / LCEA / BEMP qualifications.
- Use of early design building simulation software tools such as Rhino and Grasshopper
- CFD simulation experience.
- Daylighting simulations.
- Interest in coding or programming.
- Completing projects for Part L compliance, CIBSE TM59/52, London Planning, EPCs, CIBSE TM54, CIBSE TM63.
- A comprehensive knowledge of current building regulations and local planning codes.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!