The Birmingham Hydrock team is growing and we have a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic Senior Geo-Environmental Consultant to join our successful multi-disciplinary team based in our central Birmingham office, located in the Colmore business district near to Snowhill train station.
Geo is one of our core disciplines at Hydrock – its where we come from (both our CEO and MD have a ‘Geo’ background) and it accounts for a wealth of our business today. Find out more about our Geo division and current projects here, demonstrating the wide range of sectors we work within.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Manage the delivery of the geo-environmental services, including but not limited to; design (including ICE specification and tendering), implementation and management of geo-environmental assessments. This includes (but is not limited to); desk studies, ground investigations (factual and interpretative), coal mining risk assessments, human health, ground-water, vapour and gas risk assessments and preparation of remediation statements and verification reports.
- Work as part of an integrated divisional team made up of geo-environmental and geo-technical specialists to collaborate on a variety projects.
- Work and collaborate with the wider project teams in Birmingham and beyond to ensure multi-disciplinary delivery.
- As a Senior within the team, you will have the opportunity to develop your management and commercial skills, supporting with project management duties, liaising with clients and developing your skills within work winning and financial management.
- Support the wider team, working with junior colleagues to mentor and support with their professional development.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- A BSc, BEng, or higher qualification within a relevant subject (such as Geology, Civil Engineering and environmental science).
- Registered with a suitable professional body and be working towards chartership status (Environmentalist/Geologist/Engineer/Scientist).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a geo-environmental consultancy role.
- Previous experience working as a geo-environmental consultant, with a proven track record in preparing and checking factual and interpretive reports.
- Experience of scheduling chemical and geotechnical laboratory testing, monitoring gas and groundwater levels/sampling.
- Experience in undertaking DQRA’s for human health, waters, vapours and gas risk assessment is advantageous, however full training and support will be provided by our experienced SiLCs/SoBRA accredited colleagues.
- Proven track record of supervising, reporting and managing geo-environmental assignments with geotechnical experience highly desirable.
- Previous experience of using digital software such as Holebase, QGIS (or equivalents) and competent at using MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Office, Teams etc.).
- Full UK Driving Licence.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
- We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
- From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
- Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
- To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- No time sheets!
- Great learning and development opportunities.
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!