Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer
An exciting opportunity has emerged for a Geotechnical Design Engineer to join our growing team in London (SE1), or Southampton (SO15) as part of our successful national Geo Division.
We are looking for a talented designer who will be stimulated by working on complex projects such as data centres, ports & harbours, strategic land, logistics and distribution sites. We also work on more conventional residential high-rise developments and mixed-use schemes.
So, what will you be responsible for?
Our geotechnical design team advise on scoping of site investigations, interpretation of field data, production of geotechnical design report and construction phase support. A number of our forthcoming projects are likely involving large scale earthworks, including surcharging, ground improvements and interactions with our remediation team. We also develop optioneering systems and promote viable alternatives to the standard approaches which includes challenging brownfield sites.
Your key responsibilities will be to provide support in the following areas (list not exhaustive):
- Support the regional and wider UK geotechnical design team;
- Actively manage live ground investigation projects, including responsibility for budgets, billing and supporting site-based staff;
- Producing/reviewing interpretive/design reports, providing advice and guidance to clients and project teams;
- Reviewing documentation provided by project teams, assess this against the project’s targets and provide feedback or follow-up;
- Attending site visits and client liaison throughout the project delivery cycle;
- Managing your own workload to meet project deadlines;
- Reviewing the performance of projects on a monthly basis and updating the team’s project and finnancial trackers;
- Assisting in preparing bids and proposals for new work, including business development for new opportunities;
- Attending and contributing to team meetings; and
- Completing relevant training in accord with Hydrocks internal training program.
You'll be set up for success if you possess the following attributes:
- Ambitious, self-motivated and enthusiastic;
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Thorough understanding of the construction industry and built environment;
- Ability to manage projects;
- Client relationship management skills;
- Proven track record of project delivery;
- Emerging business development and sales skills.
- An experienced Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer with substantial consultancy experience gained in the UK.
- Significant geotechnical design experience including writing GDR and EWS (to CD622 and EC7).
- BEng, BSc or higher qualification in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering and Chartered Member of a relevant institution. Alternatively, a first degree in Geology with an Msc in Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in the specification and design of geotechnical structures (foundations, earthworks, ground improvement, slopes, embankments, gravity structures, nails, anchors, embedded walls etc).
- Experience in the design, supervision and verification of earthworks projects is highly desirable.
- A working knowledge of GEO5 and VDisp would be advantageous.
- Experienced in writing interpretive geotechnical reports.
- A strong knowledge and background in project management (ideally including geo-environmental matters).
- Proven finnancial, client management, business development and networking skills.
- Self-motivated team player with good people skills.
- Integrity and credibility. People want to work with you (customers and colleagues).
- Good overall computing skills (including Microsoft Office essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint);
- A valid driving licence (full Cat B)
- Believes in our ethos.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more