We have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our established MEP engineering team within our Manchester Office.
You will have the opportunity to develop your consulting engineering expertise, with a clear path for career progression, as you hone the following commercial management, client service and people leadership skills:
- Leading a variety of projects;
- Managing the finances and budgeting for your projects;
- Manage and developing the people in your team;
- Learn and develop management skills through our management programme and progress career with us over the coming years.
You will be joining a team whose current flagship projects include:
- HVDC converter stations around the country. These flagship energy security projects are an important part of the UK’s energy infrastructure.
- A number of schools working for the Department for Education (DfE).
- MOD works for all the major defence partners.
You will be responsible for the day-to-day technical delivery of the mechanical design services for multidiscipline projects across a number of building sectors. You will also be responsible for maintaining and developing external relationships to ensure that projects are delivered to the clients, and the wider team’s satisfaction. Your role will also include giving presentations and persuading clients to take a responsible approach to sustainability and energy performance.
You will be responsible for the correct and efficient delivery of projects from concept to completion. This will include ensuring all projects are delivered to a ‘right fist time approach’ ensuring quality management procedures are in place and are adhered to. It will also include process and best practice development to ensure the Hydrock brand is reinforced through excellent and appropriate work delivery.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Producing design deliverables, including specifications, drawings and schedules.
- Coordinating with others disciplines, working closely with the BIM and Revit team to ensure drawings and models are accurately prepared and coordinated.
- Working to agreed project programmes to ensure deadlines are met.
- Project delivery, including overseeing input from others.
- Attendance at design team, client and site meetings as required.
- Responsible for the design quality and profitable delivery of own projects.
- Demonstrate commercial thinking and client management expertise.
- Coordinating and working with others in the BPE division to maintain design quality and consistency across teams.
- Working with other divisions within Hydrock to integrate design and also input to deliver a multi-discipline offering.
- Support the Hydrock ethos including wellbeing, day-off for good causes and 100 Best Companies To Work For.
You'll be set up for success if you have:
- Relevant qualification(s) at HNC, HND, Bachelors or Masters.
- Proven Senior Mechanical Engineer or Principal Mechanical Engineer with a strong track record in the UK leading mechanical, and ideally M&E, delivery on a variety of mainstream building services projects.
- Demonstrable experience working with a range of public and private sector clients.
- Client focused and outward facing.
- Working knowledge of current building regulations with a strong understanding of, and a passion to apply, sustainable design principles.
- Working knowledge of renewables including solar, heat pumps (air, ground & water), combined heat and power systems.
- Sound knowledge of BIM processes, Revit, IES, and other design software.
- Ambitious and dynamic, you enjoy change and variety.
- Positive outlook and self-motivated.
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills.
- A motivated and 'growth mindset' approach to training and developing others.
- Someone who believes in our values and wishes to be part of Hydrock, and contribute to, our success.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer or working towards membership with a relevant institution.
Our team specialises in the delivery of building services, energy and sustainability services. We deliver MEP engineering design solutions from initial feasibility stages through detailed design and on to construction, handover and post occupancy.
We offer a fresh approach to MEP, getting involved early, working collaboratively with the design team, highlighting options, guiding design development and using our expertise to help clients make key decisions – an approach that always results in a building that delivers. Our solutions are tailored to the client – with simplicity of design often key, but with the ability to deliver bespoke highly technical solutions if required.
We work across all sectors, including commercial, industrial, leisure, retail, manufacturing, logistics, heritage, and residential for end user clients, investors, developers, architects, project managers or engineer-led project teams. This diversity of work streams, and the fact that all of our team members work across every sector, means we are constantly cross-pollinating ideas. You can check out our MEP project portfolio here.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!