This is an outstanding opportunity to join our highly influential Smart Energy and Sustainability team.
From local authorities to universities, and from masterplan developers to asset managers, we’re proud to be shaping the approach that organisations are taking to decarbonisation and a net-zero future.
Right now, we’re looking for an enthusiastic and experienced senior or principal LCA / embodied carbon consultant to join our team.
You’ll be part of our collaborative and growing team across the UK and will help with the development and delivery of a pipeline of exciting and complex projects.
We have a true enthusiasm for what we do. If you do too, we’d love to hear from you.
So, what will you be responsible for?
- Constructing, maintaining and improving LCA models and data collection processes as well as developing and maintaining tools to support low whole-life carbon construction.
- Hosting design team workshops and working with client teams to identify opportunities for carbon reduction initiatives.
- Highlighting the most impactful areas of influencing decision makers to foster improvement and identifying value drivers.
- Effective data management including setting up and maintaining project databases and project evidence trackers.
- Participating in relevant external expert forums to advance and standardise environmental sustainability performance quantification.
- Producing high-quality reports providing advice and guidance to clients and project teams.
- Attending site visits to review progress against various sustainability targets.
- Reviewing the performance of designated projects on a monthly basis and updating the team’s project tracker with progress information.
- Assisting in preparing bids and proposals for new work.
- Engaging with skills networks to exchange best practices and processes.
- Arrange and attend meetings, take minutes and distribute actions.
- Attending and contributing to team meetings.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- Knowledge of LCA databases and RICS WLC methodology.
- Experienced project leader experience in a similar role.
- Ambitious, self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills.
- Emerging business development and sales skills.
- Thorough understanding of the construction industry and built environment.
- Ability to manage projects.
- Client relationship management skills.
- Proven track record of project delivery.
We are also keen to know if you can offer any of these attributes:
- Hold a relevant degree, BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) or equivalent/higher.
- Understanding of structural engineering, architectural design and materials specification and supply chains
- Experience in producing Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs)
- Qualifications within PAS 2050/2060/2080 standards
- Experience in using CIBSE TM65 embodied carbon calculation methodology
- Capability with multiple building energy modelling software design packages such as IESVE, EnergyPro, Hysopt.
- + BREEAM and/or other assessment methodology knowledge/experience.
- Life-cycle cost modelling capabilities including sensitivity analysis and future scenario modelling.
- Capability to lead a team and develop new products in an ever-expanding market
- Graphic design capabilities including the ability to use software packages such as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and BlueBeam.
- Ability to develop digital toolkits for use internally and by clients
Sounds good? This is Smart Energy & Sustainability
So, what are we about?
This is the elevator pitch. We’re helping clients to unlock cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy and maximise the potential economic and environmental value of their projects, whilst delivering on wider environmental and sustainability principles. Alternatively, here’s the You Tube pitch.
Our immediate workload includes:
- Corporate Net Zero Carbon strategies for companies of all sizes and sectors, following Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol
- Supporting the sustainable design, construction or refurbishment of buildings
- Developing net zero strategies for masterplan developments, including both operational energy and embodied carbon
- Verification of Corporate Sustainability Reporting (including SECR)
We’re passionate about our subject matter and shaping the UK’s response to the climate emergency – here’s our Divisional Director, Josh Bullard talking about the subject matter in summer 2020.
Our team is a unique blend of engineers and consultants and this means we can deliver a wide range of project inputs for our clients from the earliest inception stages and onwards.
Most importantly, you’ll find us a lively, good-spirited team, excited about what we’re doing and enjoying each other’s company, and we’ll be sure to give you a warm welcome too.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more