Opportunity for a Senior, Principal or Associate Fire Engineer to join our thriving team and develop the North region from our growing office in Newcastle (NE1 3DY).
Hydrock is an independently-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 800 staff, operating out of 20 offices in the UK. We have been consistently in the 100 Best Companies to Work For list for the last eight years. We pride ourselves on looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing our services to a client or a rewarding experience for our employees. Check out our latest Challenge Day video here which captures our culture and people in action!
Our Fire Engineering team is one of the UK’s largest operating within a leading multi-disciplinary consultancy. It’s growing reputation for quality and responsiveness has resulted in exceptional growth and the group is now represented in all regional capitals within England and Wales.
The team provides the following services to clients:
- Advisement on applicable codes, standards and guidance
- Fire engineering design and analysis
- Fire strategy development
- Advisement on regulatory code compliance
- Means of escape design and analysis
- Evacuation analysis and pedestrian flow modelling
- Structural fire protection design and analysis
- Structural optimization analysis
- Fire impact analysis
- External fire spread analysis
- Smoke control design and analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis
- Design and specification of fire protection systems
- Construction phase consultation service
- Third party peer review.
Post occupation services:
- Fire management plan development
- Fire evacuation plan development
- Fire risk assessment.
Your role will include:
- Leading Fire Engineering design on a number of projects at any one time
- Early stage strategic input to design at site appraisal /massing stage
- Detailed design to construction status information and beyond into Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Mentoring and development of junior staff
- BSc/ BEng/ MSc/ MEng or equivalent;
- Ideally affiliated with the IFE (or equivalent) having, or working to chartership;
- Proven Senior Engineer, currently managing a high quality ‘project portfolio’;
- A person capable of managing multiple projects, ensuring productivity targets and deadlines are met;
- Capability to work on a diverse, exciting and portfolio of projects from concept through to hand-over;
- Taking responsibility for fee proposals, undertaking business development activities and establishing a network of clients/colleagues in Hydrock, and outside Hydrock;
- Manage others in the development and implementation of fire strategies, projects, and research initiatives;
- Capable of managing your own projects and existing team of junior fire engineers whilst being supported by Hydrock Fire as a whole where necessary to deliver quality fire safety solutions in a timely manner in order to meet commercial targets;
- Willing to make an investment in the career development of an existing team of enthusiastic and capable junior and graduate fire engineers;
- A confident, outgoing and fun person who enjoys being part of a busy team;
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills.
- A self-starter who is tenacious in concluding tasks;
- Someone with drive, ambition who enjoys change and variety.
How we work
Most of us hybrid work and all our offices are set up for hot-desking, so you can select and book a desk through our cloud booking system. A smaller proportion of us like being in the office fulltime and if you’re in the office every day you’ll have a designated desk to use. By offering you more flexibility, our aim is to enable everyone to work in a way that best facilitates productivity, work/life balance and collaboration.
What we can offer you
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A good team, office and employer (check out our 2021 wrap up video here). A genuine opportunity to create and to be recognised and rewarded (the starting point will be a market leading remuneration package).
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
A place where we can all thrive
At Hydrock, we value our diversity and place wellbeing and inclusion for all at the heart of our culture. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving these aims, so we encourage everyone talk to us about any ideas which enable you to balance your personal commitments with your responsibilities at work. Please let us know your current and/or desired flexible working arrangements in your covering letter, so we can discuss how this could work for you in this role.
Hydrock is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We consider all applications on an individual’s alignment with the required qualifications, knowledge and experience outlined in this job advert, without regard to any of the protected characteristics. So that we can provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience, please make us aware if you have any physical or neurodiverse condition for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more