An exciting opportunity has emerged for a Senior/principal Geotechnical Design Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team as part of our successful national Geo Division.
The Team: We are a close-knit team that works collectively towards challenges. We value the input of all members of the team and encourage everyone to bring ideas to the table. Hydrock Manchester is a multi-disciplinary office and we take every opportunity to collaborate with our colleagues in Civil & Structures and Transport Planning.
So, what will you be responsible for?
Our geotechnical design team advise on scoping of site investigations, interpretation of field data, production of geotechnical design reports and construction phase support. A number of our forthcoming projects are likely to involve large scale earthworks, including ground improvement and strategy development in conjunction with our geoenvironmental and remediation team. We also develop optioneering systems and promote viable alternatives to the standard approaches which includes challenging brownfield sites.
Your key responsibilities will be to provide support in the following areas (list not exhaustive):
- Support the regional and wider UK geotechnical design team;
- Actively manage live ground investigation projects, including responsibility for budgets, billing and supporting site-based staff;
- Producing/reviewing interpretive/design reports, providing advice and guidance to clients and project teams;
- Reviewing documentation provided by project teams, assess this against the project’s targets and provide feedback or follow-up;
- Attending site visits and meetings including client and contractor liaison throughout the project delivery cycle;
- Managing your own workload to meet project deadlines;
- Reviewing the performance of projects on a monthly basis and updating the team’s project and financial trackers;
- Assisting in preparing bids and proposals for new work, including business development for new opportunities;
- Attending and contributing to team meetings; and
- Completing relevant training in accordance with Hydrock’s internal training program.
- BEng, BSc or higher qualification in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering. Alternatively, a first degree in Geology with an MSc in Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered Member of a relevant institution.
- An experienced Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer with substantial consultancy experience gained in the UK. Minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Strong geotechnical design experience including writing Geotechnical Design Reports and specifications in accordance with current codes of practice and design standards
- Experience in the design and specification of earthworks and ground improvement.
- Experience in the assessment and verification of foundations, piles, slopes, gravity structures, nails, anchors, embedded walls etc desirable.
- Experience in the supervision and verification of earthworks and construction projects is highly desirable.
- A working knowledge of geotechnical design software packages (i.e. fine GEO5, Oasys, Rocscience etc).
- Experience of Finite Element Modelling including Plaxis 2D/3D desirable
- Experienced in writing interpretive geotechnical reports.
- Good overall computing skills (Microsoft Office essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint) including AutoCAD or Civils 3D;
- A valid driving licence (full Cat B)
- A strong knowledge and background in project management (ideally including geo-environmental matters).
- Proven financial, client management, business development and networking skills.
- A willingness to train and mentor junior members of staff
- A willingness to support construction project across the region
You'll be set up for success if you possess the following attributes:
- Ambitious, self-motivated and enthusiastic;
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Thorough understanding of the construction industry and built environment;
- Ability to manage projects;
- Client relationship management skills;
- Proven track record of project delivery;
- Emerging business development and sales skills.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event: Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!