This is an opportunity for a Senior or Principal Nuclear Safety Consultant to join our talented and growing national Nuclear Division and lead safety case work on new build, operational and decommissioning sites across all parts of the lifespan of nuclear sites across the UK.
You will be based in our central Bristol office or our Almondbury, Bristol head office, working alongside a wide representation of Hydrock’s other services and disciplines. We work flexibly and are moving to hybrid-working, so you can balance your time and commitments in a way that works for both you and Hydrock.
What you’ll be responsible for
Some of your primary responsibilities will include the following (not necessarily from the start):
- Helping to manage and deliver nuclear safety packages of work, including overseeing and supporting our delivery teams;
- Continuing to build and develop excellent client relationships;
- Delivering high-quality and bespoke technical and strategic support to our clients;
- Supporting the continued development of our business, including through identifying, bidding for and winning new work, either with new or existing clients;
- Mentoring and developing our graduates and other junior staff.
We know that every individual has different skills, strengths and preferences. We focus on recruiting great people and provide them with opportunities to tailor the role to best fit their skills and experience. Therefore, the bullets above are indicative but we avoid defining rigid roles.
What skills and attributes are we looking for?
The work we deliver for our clients in the nuclear safety case discipline focuses on providing bespoke, strategic advice and therefore a good understanding of safety cases and their production is crucial. This does not require detailed, in-depth knowledge of each technical area, but focuses on the ability to understand and work out solutions to specific client needs. Key skills and experience of the ideal candidate includes:
- Understanding of:
- Hazard and fault identification;
- Qualitative and quantitative hazard assessments (including Design Basis Assessment and Probabilistic Safety Analysis);
- Radiological consequence assessment;
- Fault studies;
- Design substantiation.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary teams and with communication with other technical disciplines;
- Experience of working with a range of nuclear site licensees within the UK;
- Experience of working on a variety of safety cases at various lifecycle stages.
Other skills and experience which we would consider beneficial, but are not considered essential include:
- Experience, or good understanding of working within a consultancy environment;
- Experience of site licensing and site licence condition compliance demonstration;
- Experience of leading and/or participating in regulatory interactions;
- Experience of development of safety case assessment methodologies;
- Understanding of regulatory and international guidance and expectations in regards to safety case production.
In addition to knowledge and experience, we are looking for someone who can provide the following:
- Flexible, innovative and proactive approach to working and finding solutions;
- Ability to work closely with clients to solve problems;
- Desire to support growth of our nuclear safety case capability.
Our Nuclear Division
Our Nuclear Division is well established but still very much a growing team, supporting a wide range of key nuclear projects across the UK, from new build through to decommissioning. We pride ourselves on being innovative and providing strategic and bespoke support to meet our clients’ needs, and have worked hard to build strong and mutually beneficial relationships with these clients. We recognise that the success of our business is underpinned and sustained by our people, and we always seek to ensure that we support, encourage and empower each member of our team to further build on what we have achieved.
We have a number of exciting projects, ongoing as well as future opportunities, with a wide range of high-profile nuclear clients. This includes delivery of work through large, long-term frameworks as well as through smaller, bespoke work packages. We are keen to welcome the right person into our team to support the successful delivery of this work and continued growth.
Hydrock is an independently-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff, operating out of 20 offices in the UK. We have been consistently in the 100 Best Companies to Work For list for the last seven years. We pride ourselves on looking after our people and our values help create a unique, dynamic, working environment. Feedback from our client listening programme and employee surveys indicates we are great to work with, whether providing our services to a client or a rewarding experience for our employees.
What you can expect in general
Inspired and motivated colleagues. A great team, office and employer (check out our 2022 wrap up here). A genuine opportunity to create and to be recognised and rewarded.
Your remuneration package will include a competitive salary and employer pension contribution, 25 days of annual leave (with the option to buy/sell up to five days), a healthy living bonus, a well-being bonus and a wide variety of flexible benefits. There are also little things like a paid day off for good causes and free fresh fruit in every office.
We have several team, office, regional and divisional events but ‘Challenge Day’ is when the whole company comes together for a paid day of fun! You can check out our most recent Challenge Day here!
A career with Hydrock offers you the chance to achieve your potential in a strongly people-focused and values-led business that provides great opportunities for professional and personal development.
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more