This is an outstanding opportunity to join our highly influential Smart Energy and Sustainability team.
From local authorities to universities, and from masterplan developers to asset managers, we’re proud to be shaping the approach that organisations are taking to decarbonisation and a net-zero future.
Right now, we’re looking for an enthusiastic and experienced senior or principal sustainability & climate change consultant to join our team.
You’ll be part of our collaborative and growing team across the UK and will help with the development and delivery of a pipeline of exciting and complex projects.
We have a true enthusiasm for what we do. If you do too, we’d love to hear from you.
So, what will you be responsible for?
- Hosting design team workshops and working with client teams to identify opportunities for carbon reduction initiatives.
- Highlighting the most impactful areas of influencing decision-makers to foster improvement and identifying value drivers.
- Effective data management including setting up and maintaining project databases and project evidence trackers.
- Participating in relevant external expert forums to advance and standardise environmental sustainability performance quantification.
- Producing high-quality reports providing advice and guidance to clients and project teams.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- Hold a relevant degree, BEng (Hons) or BSc (Hons) or equivalent/higher.
- Background in one, or more, of these areas: environmental planning; EIA; climate change; DCO; town planning; urban planning; urban design; urbanism; placemaking; masterplanning; or, public realm.
- Experienced project leader experience in a similar role.
- Significant working knowledge of environmental impact assessments (EIA), with specific experience delivering sustainability and climate change expertise to Environmental Statements, unlocking new developments for clients.
We are also keen to know if you can offer any of these attributes:
- Hold chartership / membership of relevant technical institution(s) (e.g., RITP, RIBA, EI, IEMA, IEEM etc.).
- Experience contributing to an EIA on a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIPs) and/or Developments of National Significance (DNSs).
- Experience in pre-application public consultations and stakeholder engagement.
Sounds good? This is Smart Energy & Sustainability
So, what are we about?
This is the elevator pitch. We’re helping clients to unlock cheaper, cleaner and more reliable energy and maximise the potential economic and environmental value of their projects, whilst delivering on wider environmental and sustainability principles. Alternatively, here’s the YouTube pitch.
Our work includes:
- Net-zero carbon studies at project and master planning levels
- Planning application support documents including energy strategy and environmental assessments
- Climate change studies
- ESG strategy
- Life-Cycle Carbon and Cost Analyses (LCCA)
- Renewable energy development and consultancy
- Carbon management verification
We’re passionate about our subject matter and shaping the UK’s response to the climate emergency – here’s our Divisional Director, Josh Bullard talking about the subject matter in the summer of 2020.
Our team is a unique blend of engineers and consultants and this means we can deliver a wide range of project inputs for our clients from the earliest inception stages and onwards.
Most importantly, you’ll find us a lively, good-spirited team, excited about what we’re doing and enjoying each other’s company, and we’ll be sure to give you a warm welcome too.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell’
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and is supported 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, the Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits
- 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity, and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more