As the Technical Director (Civil Engineering) of our Hydrock Birmingham Civil & Structural team, you will play a pivotal role in shaping our engineering strategies, overseeing project execution, and ensuring the highest standards of technical quality and innovation. You will lead a team of talented engineers, collaborate with clients, and drive the development of cutting-edge solutions for a variety of civil engineering projects.
- Provide strategic direction and technical leadership to the civil engineering team.
- Stay updated with industry trends, regulations, and emerging technologies to drive innovation within the company.
- Oversee the planning, design, and execution of civil engineering projects from inception to completion.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, within budget, and in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Recruit, mentor, and develop a high-performing team of engineers and technical staff.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment that promotes continuous learning and professional growth.
- Cultivate and maintain strong client relationships, understanding their needs and delivering tailored solutions.
- Collaborate with business development teams to identify and pursue new opportunities for growth.
- Establish and enforce rigorous quality control and assurance processes to maintain the highest technical standards.
- Ensure all engineering designs meet safety, environmental, and sustainability requirements.
- Identify potential project risks and develop proactive mitigation strategies.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant health and safety regulations.
Budget and Resource Management:
- Manage project budgets effectively, optimizing resource allocation.
- Monitor and control project expenditures to achieve financial objectives.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering (Master's preferred).
- Experience of successful business development within a previous civil engineering consultancy.
- Proven track record of successfully managing and delivering complex civil engineering projects.
- Strong leadership and team management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- In-depth knowledge of industry best practices, codes, and regulations.
- Proficiency in engineering software and design tools.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!