We have an excellent opportunity for an experienced Technical Director/Director to join our progressive Water Environment Team.
You will act as the national lead, provide technical leadership to ensure the delivery of high-quality engineering solutions as well as lead and grow our high-performing existing team. You will also be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with clients and regulators and for identifying and pursuing new business opportunities.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Scheme development, preliminary and detailed designs and project coordination
- Upholding the quality and accuracy of deliverables
- Design and site meetings, site inspections and progress reporting
- Leading projects including budgetary control
- Preparing fee proposals
- Manage junior colleagues
- Working within a growing multi-disciplinary consultancy, and operating across a matrix of projects.
- You will also be tasked with work winning, budgetary control of project finances and preparing fee proposals and developing the Water & Environment Team in this region
- Working in a design office environment but also playing an active role in design and site meetings, site inspections and progress reporting.
- Good communication and liaison with clients, architects, contractors and regulatory/statutory authorities.
- Hydrological and hydraulic modelling.
- Completing Flood Risk Assessments.
- Bid preparation and fee proposals.
- Research and business development of potential new clients.
- Attend client and regulatory meetings.
You’ll be set up for success if you have:
- A strong Bachelors degree and possibly a higher degree in a water subject combined with well-established consultancy / industry experience as a senior modeller.
- Preferably Chartered or near Chartered in CIWEM.
- Substantial experience of undertaking flood risk assessments in accordance with NPPF (and/or TAN 15), but the primary focus of the role is hydrological and hydraulic modelling, often in Flood Modeller Pro or TUFLOW.
- You will possess a good understanding of the workings of the Environment Agency (and Natural Resources Wales) and Lead Local Flood Authorities, as well as up to date knowledge of current planning policies and procedures and how these can be utilised to maximise the level of service offered to our clients whilst gaining required approvals.
- High motivation for this specific opportunity.
- Self-motivated team player with exceptional people skills.
- Ability to work under own initiative while fully co-ordinating with line manager’s requirements.
- An understanding of the developer industry would be advantageous.
- Believes in our ethos.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards!
To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.
We consider all application individually with the required qualifications and knowledge without regard to any of the protected characteristics. We would like to provide everyone with a fair selection, assessment and employment experience so we ask with are made aware of any physical or neurodiverse condition within your application for which appropriate reasonable adjustments can be made by us.
Looking for the next steps?
- Once you have completed your application through our careers site, we aim to review and respond to you as soon as your application’s been reviewed.
- If shortlisted, a member of our Recruitment Team will call you for an initial pre-screen by phone (typically 30 minutes) to help us assess your motivations and interest in the position and Hydrock.
- If you progress following this telephone pre-screen, you will be invited to attend a formal interview by video conference (Microsoft Teams) or in our offices.
For the latest updates and news, connect with us on our LinkedIn page!
More about us
Our year on film
It’s impossible to note all the many wonderful stories and achievements, when marking the end of another brilliant 365 days, so instead we give you our end of year video – enjoy – we did!Read more
Unlocking healthier buildings for happier people
Natural daylight is fundamental for our sleep quality, mood, productivity and overall mental health – it’s one of the most crucial elements of a building’s design.Read more