Abbey Wood is the largest MoD site in the UK, purpose built for the Defence Equipment and Support procurement organisation that manages procurement and contracts for the Royal Navy, the British Army and the RAF.
The site, just outside Bristol, comprises over 130,000 sq m of buildings for over 8,000 staff. Facilities include offices, restaurants, a library, sports facilities, training rooms, auditoria and conference rooms, support facilities and a crèche, together with landscaping and external works on a 98 acre site.
With ever-increasing staff numbers due to a collocation programme, Debut appointed Hydrock to deliver an in-depth building services report that covered:
- Existing electrical loads within each building
- Maximum density of occupants for each floor space
- Review of risks associated with security of supply
- Single point failure review
- Recommended actions to improve supply resilience
- Condition of services
- Metering strategy for each building
- Budget costs for all proposed works
Our work involved access to all plant areas which provided the opportunity to report on any defects we observed during the course of the survey.
Ultimately, our report informed the future strategy for the provision of building services to a very large and complex site supporting an ever-increasing number of users.