We’re surrounded everyday by the success of civil engineering. Infrastructure that connects people, places and communities, efficiently and sustainably.
When civil infrastructure works best, it’s largely unnoticed.
Highways, drainage, embankments, public realm, cycle lanes, footpaths, the list goes on. These often overlooked achievements shape our lives. They enable residential developments to become communities, transport infrastructure to become multi-modal, and commercial developments to help businesses connect to their stakeholders.
Identifying how civil engineering can influence a development site at the earliest stage of feasibility will have a significant impact on the long-term commercial viability of the scheme.
From early-stage due diligence and site appraisals, through master-planning and planning, to detailed design and construction, our civil engineers provide single stage support or whole life journey from inception to implementation.
At the heart of what we do is sustainability, biodiversity, purpose and efficiency. These are central to delivering successful civil infrastructure on a construction project.
We establish robust strategies for drainage and flood mitigation and use ground modelling technology to analyse a site’s natural topography to identify efficiencies that can be achieved from earthworks to set road levels and construction platforms.
We obtain environmental and planning approvals, as well as technical approvals, to unlock sites, enabling local authorities and network operators to adopt key infrastructure and form future communities.
We collaborate with architects, planners, urban designers and landscape consultants to realise the potential of a new development and achieve our client’s vision. We also work alongside ecologists, arboriculturists, archaeologists, environmental and conservation specialists to ensure that our strategies and designs give due consideration to a site’s historical and biological impact.
We’re creating resilient communities that are connected, sympathetic to the environment and help people to thrive.
Features and benefits of our service include:
- Feasibility and viability studies.
- Planning support.
- Liaison with highway, drainage and flood authorities.
- Engineering input to masterplanning.
- Whole lifecycle service from inception to implementation.
- Experience of large scale strategic developments, as well as specific targeted schemes.
Civils design to transform a community
Led by our civil and structural engineers, discover how our innovative design contributed to the ‘wow factor’ of Llys Cadwyn, the new gateway development to Pontypridd.
What you can expect from our civil infrastructure engineers
With skillsets that pivot between delivering large scale civil engineering, and more local targeted advice, we’re at the heart of creating sustainable developments.
Our expertise includes:
Engaged early in a proposed development scheme, we deliver a comprehensive due diligence appraisal that identifies potential design constraints and opportunities ahead of site acquisition.
Issues can range from complex access to highways, lack of drainage connectivity, severe site gradients and high risk from flooding. At this viability stage we’ll identify challenges and advise on potential solutions.
In each case, it’s this insight at the pre-planning stage that ensures the right commercial decisions are made and that the engineering masterplan strategy is properly defined and developed.
In line with the National Planning Policy Framework, we’ll deliver a viable surface water strategy that utilises sustainable urban drainage techniques. We do this in conjunction with an assessment of flood risk and a strategy for managing wastewater.
For strategic sites that are led by a master-plan, we advise on highways including hierarchy, layout, dimensions and alignment. We provide guidance on topography and recommend appropriate allowances for drainage infrastructure and flood prevention measures.
We provide input into Design Codes and Design and Access Statements, and help Local Authorities develop a Development Plan Document (DPD).
Civil engineering design
Through all stages of the development cycle, from planning to detailed design to on-site construction, our team advise on a range of essential infrastructure and civil engineering issues, including:
- Foul and surface water drainage strategy development and design including attenuation and pollution control proposals
- Flood risk assessments and flood mitigation strategies
- Design of sustainable urban drainage systems (SuDS) and contribution to green infrastructure, urban greening factor and biodiversity targets
- Nutrient and water neutrality advice
- On-site and off-site highways designs, including junction alterations, highway improvement works and pavement construction
- Pedestrian, cycle and other active travel infrastructure
- Public realm improvements
- Technical input into Section 104, 278 and 38 Legal Agreements
- Design input to sewer requisitions and diversions, drainage consents and Approval in Principle (AIP)
- Cut and fill analysis
- Assessing finished floor and external works levels
- Vehicle swept path analysis
- Input to tenders and sales packs
- Peer reviews
- Construction stage advice