We have an excellent opportunity for an Associate or Principal Fire Engineer to join our thriving team and develop the South West region based from our Hydrock Bristol office.
Our Fire Engineering team is one of the UK’s largest operating within a leading multi-disciplinary consultancy. It’s growing reputation for quality and responsiveness has resulted in exceptional growth and the group is now represented in all regional capitals within England, Scotland and Wales.
You will work closely with colleagues of various disciplines within the Bristol region and have an existing project portfolio which includes high-profile projects with regional, national and international clients.
The Team: We are a close-knit team that works collectively towards challenges. We value the input of all members of the team and encourage everyone to bring ideas to the table. Bristol is one region of six that the Fire Engineering Division operate in, throughout the UK and international markets, with over 100 staff in the Fire Safety Division.
Projects: We have a diverse portfolio of work, operating in the typical sectors of Residential, Commercial and Education, as well as more specialist sectors such as Aviation, Battery Storage, Data Centers, Healthcare, High-Hazard and Nuclear.
The team provides the following services to clients:
- Advisement on applicable codes, standards and guidance
- Fire engineering design and analysis
- Fire strategy development
- Advisement on regulatory code compliance
- Means of escape design and analysis
- Evacuation analysis and pedestrian flow modelling
- Structural fire protection design and analysis
- Structural optimization analysis
- Fire impact analysis
- External fire spread analysis
- Smoke control design and analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis
- Design and specification of fire protection systems
- Construction phase consultation service
- Third party peer review.
Post occupation services:
- Fire management plan development
- Fire evacuation plan development
- Fire risk assessment.
As an Associate Fire Engineer within our busy fire engineering team, you will have project management responsibilities for the delivery of fire engineering. You will support the Director of Fire Engineering to implement the company business plan, managing a team of up to ten people in the delivery of fire engineering projects, while supporting existing clients and develop new opportunities.
Your role will include:
- Leading a team delivering Fire Engineering design on a number of projects at any one time
- Management of team projects, providing technical support to peers as necessary
- Ensure effective management of project time within appointed scope
- Early-stage strategic input to design at concept stage
- Detailed design to construction status information and beyond into Post Occupancy Evaluation
- Writing and contributing to fee proposals
- Review technical documents and fire strategies prepared by others
- Ensure team well-being within reasonable working hours
- BSc/ BEng/ MSc/ MEng or equivalent;
- Ideally affiliated with the IFE (or equivalent) having, or working to chartership;
- Proven Senior/Principal Engineer, currently managing a high quality ‘project portfolio’;
- Good understanding of the Planning process by way of Gateway One.
- Understanding of the Building Safety Act, plus the Building Safety Regulator role in regards Gateway 2 & 3.
- Sound knowledge of recognized fire safety and engineering guidance and Codes of Practice, eg, BS 9991, BS 9999, BS 9251, Fire Safety Order 2005, NFCC recommendations, BS7974 series and similar.
- Knowledge of façade/cladding inspection and assessment (eg. PAS 9980).
- A person capable of managing multiple projects, ensuring productivity targets and deadlines are met;
- Capability to work on a diverse and exciting portfolio of projects from concept through to hand-over;
- Taking responsibility for fee proposals, undertaking business development activities and establishing a network of clients/colleagues within Hydrock, and outside Hydrock;
- Manage others in the development and implementation of fire strategies, projects, and research initiatives;
- Capable of managing your own projects and existing team of junior fire engineers whilst being supported by Hydrock Fire as a whole where necessary to deliver quality fire safety solutions in a timely manner in order to meet commercial targets;
- Willing to make an investment in the career development of an existing team of enthusiastic and capable junior and graduate fire engineers;
- A confident, outgoing person who enjoys being part of a busy team;
- An articulate communicator with well-developed interpersonal skills.
- A self-starter who is tenacious in concluding tasks;
- Someone with drive and ambition who enjoys change and variety.
What's great about Hydrock 'in a nutshell'
We are a British-owned integrated multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy of over 900 staff in 21 offices across the UK. Our driving motivation is to be a ‘Force for Good’, as it is our aim to improve the quality of people’s lives from our employees to our clients, through to the communities we work in and our planet as a whole through the work we do.
From the buildings that surround you, the roads and bridges you cross, all related to the infrastructure that we create, we aim to offer the most sustainable possibilities to shape the places, communities and society that we live in through meeting our client’s needs. Through the path we are on to delivering a green future, the result is something that everyone can be proud of.
Our welcoming and friendly culture is something we are proud of and has gained us recognition with 9 years in the Top 100 Best Companies to Work For list. Check out some of our incredible projects which have been awarded: 2022 Net Zero Award for Bay Technology Centre, Integration and Collaborative Working Award for YGG Tan-y-Lan primary school, The Deaf Academy awarded for its Universal Design at the 2022 Civic Trust Awards and Bristol’s iconic waterfront Wapping Wharf Living making a double win at the Bristol Property Awards! To top off, here’s our 2022 wrap up video!
What we can offer you:
- Inspiring and supportive colleagues
- Reward for progression and hard work
- An opportunity to develop your soft skills, as well your technical skills
- Competitive starting salary
- Excellent health benefits 25 days of holiday (buy/sell up to five days), accrue 1 day extra every 2 years, with bonus holidays too!
- An earlier finish on Friday (4pm!)
- An opportunity to give back: “Day off for good cause” (on a workday)
- A huge range of flexible benefits, including climate perks and an EV car leasing scheme
- Our biggest event of the year: Annual Challenge Day!
A place to feel included
We champion diversity, equity and inclusion. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we commit to supporting our employees and ensure we create a safe environment that nurtures you to perform at your best. Offering our people flexibility is an important factor in achieving this aim.